Morongo Basin Transit Authority Taxicab Regulations
To promote safe and reliable taxi transportation, California State Law requires the regulation of taxicab companies. Locally the Morongo Basin Transit Authority (MBTA) handles this task by issuing taxicab operators, drivers and vehicle permits.
Each MBTA permitted taxicab driver has passed a criminal history investigation and drug screen and all MBTA permitted taxicabs have passed an annual vehicle inspection, insurance review and are routinely spot checked.
Taxicab Consumer Tips:
- Get the full name of the taxicab company- Not just “Yellow Cab”
- Write down the company’s telephone number and keep it
- Ask the company if their drivers and vehicles are MBTA permitted
- Ask how long before the cab will arrive, get a cab number and drivers name
- When the cab arrives, check the left side of the windshield for an MBTA vehicle permit and ask to see their drivers permit. The drivers permit must be posted in plain view at all times.
- The driver must activate the taximeter and never charge more then what is noted on the meter.
- Ask for a receipt showing the amount paid, drivers name and company name.
Beware of Taxicabs & Drivers without a MBTA permit. Look for these types of items:
List of Current Regulated Taxicab companies:
Desert Sun Cab – (760) 475-2310
Taxi Del Sol – (760) 362-9742
Tops Taxi – (760) 397-3981
For taxicab rates, questions or quality of service comments or concerns, directly contact the taxi cab company. If you do not receive a satisfactory response contact MBTA at (760)366-2986.